Monday, May 7, 2012

All the Nurses in the Club, Put Your Hands Up!


This week is National Nurses Week.
I feel compelled to express my upmost gratitude to those who work alongside me
and to say,
"WHAT WERE WE THINKING??"

To those who have been pooped on, peed on, spit on, vomited on:
You can always buy new scrubs, take a shower, and Cavi-Wipe everything
I have learned this...
Every once in a while you even get sent home due to these issues,
because it is just too much to handle and keep working

To those who have been verbally, physically and emotionally abused:
We make a difference with our patience
Do not give in! Fight the urge to punch them in the throat!
These people need love too

To those who have simply cried when they finally make it to the car:
Know this.
You are expressing your exhaustion because of working as a
nurse, a caregiver, a counselor, a cheerleader, a son, a daughter, a maid,
a chef, an emotional soundboard, a punching bag, a shower, a physician's assistant,
... and those are just the terms that have actual names
Its okay to cry sometimes

To those that KNOW nursing is their calling:
I salute you.
Nursing is not an easy field
Sometimes it is just downright filthy
But this I must say,
I love being a nurse with everything in me!

I love taking care of those who need help
I love being able to wave goodbye to patients as they leave
and know, I helped them be able to walk out of here
I love when people stop me and say,
"Thanks for treating my mom like family"
"Thanks for taking the time to explain whats going on"

THAT is the heartbeat of Nursing

Take time this week to really enjoy what you have been called to do
Nursing allows us to go beyond physical healing
It allows doors to open for emotional and spiritual healing as well!

Matthew 25: 34-40
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’"







2 comments:

  1. Awesome post Dee! Keep up the good work my fellow nurse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I really love your site playlist. Most of these songs are favorites :)

    Second, love your post! Makes me wish i was in nursing... or at least feel thankful for nurses who deal with so much!

    ReplyDelete